Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Home Study
and an update
We are so, so close to being on the waiting list, and I can't wait....!  We've had our fingerpints taken at USCIS and are just waiting on our approval letter.  Once that comes in we can send our dossier to West Sands and get on "the list."  

I was sad that there was no ink on my finger, since everything is electronic now.
(side note: before I left work for our finger print appointment, I had somehow managed to make a can of Coke explode all over myself--and the kitchen at work.  I frantically washed my bangs in a sink in the bathroom and towel dried them in the car, but the back of my head was still a sticky mess.)

Our home study visit was August 18, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared/expected it would be.  Our social worker briefly toured the house, and then the rest of the visit was her interviewing Jon and me, both together and separately. I love the scene in What to Expect When You're Expecting when Jennifer Lopez's character is completely freaking out and hiding her wedding photos before the social worker arrives--I can completely relate to that "OMG if this person doesn't like us we can't ever adopt!!" panic. I was a nervous wreck for days leading up to the home visit, and I even had a last minute meltdown just before she arrived that involved my frantically bleaching and scrubbing the kitchen sink while sobbing (I can have a meltdown like a champ). As soon as she left Jon helpfully pointed out that I had a GIANT rip in the back of my jeans. I then got into bed and watched movies the rest of the day to recover.  

At least our house was super clean.



 

I also laughed during the home study scene in What to Expect When You're Expecting when Jennifer Lopez's character serves cookies she's baked and the social worker refuses to eat them. I found a blueberry bread recipe on Pinterest and got up extra early to ensure I had enough time to make it, but our social worker refused to have a piece. She also declined our offers of tea/coffee/water; some of our adoption friends have told us it's typical for social workers not to eat or drink anything at clients' homes.  

I, however, stress-ate throughout the entire visit.
 
My beautiful blueberry bread (which was half gone by the time she left)




2 comments:

  1. That's so funny. I don't think I offered our SW one thing to eat or drink. How rude of me. Here's hoping you're waiting soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our social worker didn't eat or drink a thing either. Her name wasn't Beverly by any chance?

    ReplyDelete