Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Impatience

I'm struggling with feeling impatient today.  I always feel a little impatient about adoption stuff, but today I'm feeling the antsy-climbing-the-walls-can't-sit-still kind of impatient.  I want to apply to an agency (we are pretty sure which agency we are going to use and are in touch with them, but I'm not announcing who they are until we've signed on the dotted line), start the tedium of the paper chase, and complete our home study.  Yesterday. 

We need to raise $2,000 before we formally apply to our agency, to cover the application and home study fees.  Two. Thousand. Dollars.  Yipes. Jon and I have just implemented a spartan budget (tear) to pay off debt so that we are more financially free when the babies come home, and every extra penny--of which there are pitifully few--is going toward the debt mountain.  In other words, we don't have anything left over to put toward our adoption fund and are relying solely on fundraising to get us to our goal. We are having a big garage sale this Saturday and we have been blown away by the generosity of our church family members who have kindly given us their unwanted clothes, books, TVs, couches, etc.  I am praying that we raise a ridiculous amount of money.  I am also building a giant stack of items to sell on eBay; the babies win over Anthropologie shirts and old Coach bags.  My favorite quote in the "gotcha day" video I posted is: "God always funds His callings."  Amen.  We know that the Lord is Jehovah Jireh, Our Provider, and will more than meet our needs.  

But still, I am feeling impatient.  While I wait, tensed, at the starting line of the race we're about to run, I hold onto scriptures like these: 

"but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."  Isaiah 40:31  

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5-6

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done."  Philippians 4:6

And, I eat a lot of cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! You don't know me but I found your blog through my sister-in-law, Angela Pitts. My husband and I are adopting a little girl from the Democratic Republic of Congo and I just wanted to encourage you! I can totally relate to this post, we started out in the exact same boat trying to pay off debt before we began the process and the waiting felt like torture. I remember the pain of knowing there was a little girl somewhere out there who needed a family and we hadn't even begun the steps to get to her yet and now that we are so close to bringing our daughter home I can say that the wait is worth it! God grows your faith and teaches you so much through the wait and we can testify that He provides in amazing unexpected ways! We did the garage sale thing and the total blew our mind, it was literally a loaves and fishes story! I know He will do the same for you all! It is true, He will fund what He calls us to! We're praying for you as you begin this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete